TamTam Books News

Saturday, February 11, 2006:




I have been often asked “why Boris Vian and TamTam Books?” Not really a simple yes and no type of answer can be given. I feel that my whole life somehow came to this point where I had to do these books.

Pop French Culture (I can’t think of a better term at the moment) was and is a major presence in my entire life. The first film I have ever seen was Roger Vadim’s “And God Created Woman.” My Father had to fight tooth, nail, and have a fit in front of the movie theater to let me in to see that film with him. The wise theater manager realized that this would be the beginning of the end for me – but hey “he’s not my kid!”

That and the books that were in my parent’s bookshelf as well as on the tables, floor, and maybe even outside the yard – had a major influence on me. Of course I was too young to read, but nevertheless the design of the book had and still has of course, a strong hold over me. It is the perfect device and can never be replaced. Neither by computer, e-books, etc. The book is a combination of style, presence, and stature.

Which reminds me that I was on the bus about a week ago and a very attractive girl was reading Alberto Moravia’s novel “Contempt.” The awesome discovery of secretly watching a beautiful girl reading “Contempt” was that her edition was a cheap paperback from the 60’s and a tie-in to the Godard film. Once I noticed that it became a peculiar erotic moment. So there is that aspect in what I do because I feel books are erotic by their nature and design. The perfect book with the perfect looking person equals erotic impulses.


About ten years ago everything became clear when I found Vian’s “I Spit on Your Grave” at the Los Angeles Downtown Library. Before that, Lun*na my wife introduced me to the “presence” of Boris Vian in Tokyo. She mentioned that my short stories at the time reminded her of Vian’s writings. So, I kept this man’s name in the filing cabinet that is located somewhere in my brain.

“I Spit on Your Graves” opened up the relationship between American and French popular culture for me. It was like someone threw cold water in my face and said, “Get to work moron!” The next day I started TamTam Books.

Tosh // 11:42 AM
______________________

Comments: Post a Comment

This site is powered by Blogger because Blogger rocks!









The wonderful world of TamTam Books by publisher Tosh Berman

Archives