TamTam Books News

Sunday, February 05, 2006:


The Guardian UK has this great section called "Top 10" in their book review part of the newspaper. I am obsessed with British pop culture from the 50's through 1995. I don't know if it is a guilty pleasure or not, but I admire creative rock managers and writers. Sometimes, in a boozy mood, I feel that they are more important than the artists that they represent. Here are two managers and one rock n' roll writer. I admire them greatly.

Here's Malcolm McLaren's favorite books:

1. Peter Pan by JM Barrie
The best sex story I ever read.


2. Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe
The toughest, bitchiest indictment of a dishonest society by the best writer England has ever produced.


3. Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
An unforgettable journey into criminal behaviour that takes me back to my own childhood fantasies. A book I read when I was extremely young, and one that justified all my desires to create an environment in which I could truthfully run wild, forever recreating those artful dodgers/Sex Pistols.

4. Christian Dior by Francoise Giroud
Does passion end in fashion? The ultimate luxury item to be browsed over in the bath.


5. The Private Case by Patrick Kearney
The dirtiest list of rudery ever published in England or elsewhere, all its contents available on request to the British Library's chief librarian. Information Hitler's spies were desperate to get their hands on during the war.


6. Out of Control by Kevin Kelly
This is a wonderful, inspirational 21st-century thinking man's guide to the new culture - how machines are becoming more human and how humans, in turn, are becoming more like machines.


7. Lady Chatterley's Lover by DH Lawrence
The most melancholic and blissfully romantic novel I have recently re-read.


8. Being Digital by Nicholas Negroponte
The allure of the digital revolution, with all the necessary roadmaps so that you cannot help but fall in love with it.


9. The Story of O by Pauline Reage
A strange and adorable journey into the sublime world of a girl's bad, mad and crazed sexual misadventures. Happiness in slavery; the laughter of genius in the bathroom of our mind.


10. Essays by Gore Vidal
If you want to know how America thinks, read this.

Tosh // 10:59 PM
______________________

Comments: Post a Comment

This site is powered by Blogger because Blogger rocks!









The wonderful world of TamTam Books by publisher Tosh Berman

Archives