TamTam Books News

Tuesday, November 25, 2003:

BORIS VIAN'S "FOAM OF THE DAZE" E-MAIL READING GROUP


To not only promote Boris Vian’s ‘Foam of the Daze’ for financial gain, but also the great need on my part to expose this great novel and all it’s overtones, undertones and undercurrents that run through this jazz/sci-fi/romantic/anti-romantic/philosophy lovin’/vintage Warner Brothers cartoon of a novel, I propose to start up a reading group for this particular work.

I figure by January 2004, all parties who want this book will get it by then. My plan is to start up an e-mail list that will focus on this book and this book alone. Which doesn’t mean one can’t compare other Vian works or other literature as well as jazz and films, etc. on the ‘Foam of the Daze’ mailing list. The novel is full of references of other works – and real life accounts.   

How it would work, is that all e-mails be sent to me (tosh3@earthlink.net) directly – and I will then post it to the group. It is sort of an early 21-century method, but I am doing this because I don’t have the time to deal with Yahoo or the other Internet groups at this time.

What I won’t do is censor your views – but there will of course not be any personal attacks allowed, etc.

The ‘Foam of the Daze’ reading group will be just that. There will be no advertising (unless it’s a plug for a work that is brought up in the novel or in Vian’s world), and no announcements about future TamTam events.


- Also open up for discussion are
-  Comparisons with earlier translations of L’Ecume des jours (U.S.: Mood Indigo, UK: Froth on a Daydream).
- The inner-relationships between the characters
- How the St-Germain-des-Prés scene affected the novel
- How Jazz plays a role in the novel
- The odd relationship between cartoon violence with bitter-sweet romantic or anti-romantic overtones in the novel
- How the novel treats the theme of youth and its place in the world
- And whatever else comes up in the discussion

I never done anything like this before, so think of it as an experiment. If it doesn’t work, well, it doesn’t work. But I would like to try it!

For those who are interested, send me your name and e-mail address. The address to send your request is tosh3@earthlink.net.

Make sure the subject line of your e-mail says ‘Foam of the Daze reading group.’ I will save the names for the list and hopefully get it started sometime in January 2004. And of course anytime you want off – just drop me a line.

Thanks,

Tosh

Tosh // 8:14 AM
______________________

Comments: Post a Comment

This site is powered by Blogger because Blogger rocks!









The wonderful world of TamTam Books by publisher Tosh Berman

Archives