TamTam Books News

Friday, September 12, 2003:

As most music lovers I was very sad to hear about Johnny Cash's death. I guess it was expected, but when it came, it was still a difficult death to deal with.

Three or four years ago I was shopping at a Local Tower Record store, and out of curiosity I played Johnny Cash's recording of Nick Cave's 'The Mercy Seat.' I started to cry and I played that song over and over again. It was weird because I was in the middle of a shopping mall among record buyers and I was totally in tears. It's a great record. The only recording that ever made me cry.


Nick Cave, down below, was interviewed about Johnny Cash in today's Guardian. The website is: http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/news/story/0,11711,1041174,00.html


Nick Cave
Saturday September 13, 2003
The Guardian

I lost my innocence with Johnny Cash. I used to watch the Johnny Cash Show on television in Wangaratta when I was about 9 or 10 years old. At that stage I had really no idea about rock'n'roll. I watched him and from that point I saw that music could be an evil thing, a beautiful, evil thing.

For me it was very much the way he began the show. He'd have his back to you in silhouette, dressed all in black, and he'd swing around and say "Hi, I'm Johnny Cash". There was something that struck me about him, and about the way my parents shifted around uncomfortably.

I've always been interested in him from then on, always known him and known his stuff. I've covered several of his songs. The third Bad Seeds album [Cave's band] was a cover album, and it had Cash's song The Singer on it. We also did a version of Wanted Man which Bob Dylan wrote for Johnny Cash. And we did a Johnny Cash-influenced version of The Long Black Veil.

On that record I got an opportunity to sit back and sing softly, which creates a different kind of timbre to the voice, and it becomes darker and deeper and more affecting. This had to do with him singing these kind of songs. Prior to that I'd always pretty much screamed. It was through that that I understood there was some other way of approaching a song.

He did a version of [Cave's song] The Mercy Seat. I got a call from [Cash's producer] Rick Rubin that Johnny Cash wanted to record it and was that all right. That was pretty exciting. The version is so good. He just claims that song as he does with so many.

There's no one who can touch him. I wrote and recorded that when I was fairly young, but he has a wealth of experience which he can bring. He can sing a line and give that line both heaven and hell.

Then I was in Los Angeles at the beginning of this year and got another call from Rick Rubin saying Johnny Cash was recording and did I want to come and record with him. I said: "Of course." I had a couple of hours the next day before I had to leave. I chose a Hank Williams song - I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry. I got to the studio and was a bit early, and was waiting for Johnny Cash to arrive and wondering how I would be able to sing, to hold my own with this incredible voice.

He arrived, and this man with such extraordinary generosity, such an immense spirit made me feel so much at ease.

I suggested this song, and he said: "Hey yeah, Nick, I know that one. Let's do it." And the band started up and we just did it.

It was funny because I sang the song and then at the end Rick Rubin said: "I'm sorry we're going to have to do it again." I said: "I'm flat, right?" And Rick Rubin said: "No, Johnny's flat." He said: "Yeah, I guess I was little off there." And we did it again.

When Johnny first came down those stairs into the studio he looked really frail and sick, but once he started singing he was really brought back to life. It was an incredible thing to see.

For me it's a very sad thing that he's died, because there goes another one of these great voices. As far as I can see there aren't the people around to replace these people. That's the really sad thing about this.

ยท Rock musician Nick Cave was talking to Dan Glaister

Tosh // 7:20 PM
______________________

Comments: Post a Comment

This site is powered by Blogger because Blogger rocks!









The wonderful world of TamTam Books by publisher Tosh Berman

Archives