TamTam Books News

Saturday, March 29, 2003:

"War’s a grotesque thing ... and those, who are amused by it believe that they’re, in general, entitled to extend it so that it should incorporate those who are not amused by it. ... That’s why, in the reduced measure in which something written, and therefore artificial, can have any effect, I have tried to react against it ..."

- Boris Vian


"The day when no one will return from war will mark the first well-made war. On that day we shall notice that all abortive attempts which had been made at peace had been until then the work of amateurs..."

- Boris Vian

Le Déserteur
by Boris Vian



Monsieur le President (Dear Mr. President)
Je vous fais une lettre (I write you a letter)
Que vous lirez peut-être (that you might read, maybe,)
Si vous avez le temps. (if you have the time)
Je viens de recevoir (I've just received)
Mes papiers militaires (my military papers)
Pour partir à la guerre (to leave for the war)
Avant mercredi soir (Wednesday night)
Monsieur le Président (Mr. President)
Je ne veux pas la faire (I don't want to do it)
Je ne suis pas sur terre (I was not put on earth)
Pour tuer des pauvres gens (to kill poor people)
C'est pas pour vous fâcher (It's not to make you mad)
Il faut que je vous dise (I must tell you)
Ma décision est prise (I've made my choice)
Je m'en vais déserter (I'm going to desert)
Depuis que je suis né (Since I was born)
J'ai vu mourir mon père (I saw my father die)
J'ai vu partir mes frères (I saw my brothers depart)
Et pleurer mes enfants (and my children cry)
Ma mère a tant souffert (My mother suffered so much)
Qu'elle est dedans sa tombe (that she is in her tomb)
Et se moque des bombes (and she doesn't care any more for bombs)
Et se moque des vers (and she doesn't care any more for worms)
Quand j'étais prisonnier (When I was a prisoner)
On m'a volé ma femme (My wife was stolen)
On m'a volé mon âme (My soul was stolen)
Et tout mon cher passé (and all of my cherished past)
Demain de bon matin (Tomorrow, early morning)
Je fermerai ma porte (I'll slam my door)
Au nez des années mortes (on those dead years)
J'irai sur les chemins (I'll go on the roads)
Je mendierai ma vie (I'll live as a beggar)
Sur les routes de France (in the roads of France)
De Bretagne en Provence (from Bretagne to Provence)
Et je dirai aux gens (and I'll tell people)
Refusez d'obéir (Refuse to obey)
Refusez de la faire (Refuse to do it)
N'allez pas à la guerre (Don't go to war)
Refusez de partir (Refuse to leave)
S'il faut donner son sang (If blood must be offered)
Allez donner le vôtre (go and offer yours)
Vous êtes bon apôtre (You'd be a great example)
Monsieur le Président (Dear Mr. President)
Si vous me poursuivez (If you go after me)
Prévenez vos gendarmes (warn your cops)
Que je n'aurai pas d'armes (that I'll be unarmed)
Et qu'ils pourront tirer (and that they may shoot)




Tosh // 11:26 PM
______________________

Comments: Post a Comment

This site is powered by Blogger because Blogger rocks!









The wonderful world of TamTam Books by publisher Tosh Berman

Archives